Mitchell Johnson overcomes injury scare

Test aspirant Mitchell Johnson overcame an injury scare to claim two wickets in Western Australia’s Sheffield Shield clash with South Australia at the WACA Ground.


The Redbacks were bowled out for 222, with paceman Jason Behrendorff (4-58) and Michael Hogan (3-43) doing the bulk of the damage.

Johnson was forced to go off for treatment after digging his big toe into the turf.

But the 32-year-old returned to the fray to collect a late wicket and finish with 2-74 from 16.4 overs.

Johnson missed more than six months of cricket after tearing a tendon in his toe in November, 2011.

However, a WACA spokesperson said Johnson’s latest injury wasn’t related to that setback.

Redbacks opener Phil Hughes blew a good chance to push his case for an Ashes call-up after being dismissed for 25.

Hughes received a life on five when Cameron Bancroft dropped a tough one-handed chance at third slip.

But his luck ran out shortly after, with an attempted hook off the bowling of Behrendorff skying into the air for wicketkeeper Sam Whiteman to catch.

Johnson, who’s also bidding to earn a recall for the first Test against England later this month, opened his day in horrendous fashion, with two of his first three deliveries called wides.

The left-arm quick was lucky not to have another two wides called during the over.

But he soon found his rhythm, and would have claimed the wicket of Sam Raphael in his second over had John Rogers held onto a diving, one-handed chance at gully.

Johnson’s second spell was particularly fiery, with a series of bouncers leaving the Redbacks’ batsmen hopping.

And the left-arm quick finally received some reward when he trapped Travis Head lbw for 51.

Johnson beat the bat on a number of occasions, and also saw an edge from Tom Cooper fly between second and third slip.

The Redbacks were in all sorts of trouble at 7-160, but a half-century to Joe Mennie (50) got the visitors to a reasonable score.

Comments are closed.